Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why do I really watch the Superbowl?

I am not an athlete. Not even close. Athletic events are only attended if my child or myself is performing in said event. And when I say performing, I don't mean actually playing that particular sport, it usually means marching with the band. There has been the occasional soccer game or flag football game, but my children did NOT follow their father's athletic footsteps. My oldest is strong and athletic, but she is a dancer and a swimmer. She performs, but it is definitely at a high level. In general, our family really isn't into traditional sports. So why is it that I feel utterly compelled to watch the Superbowl. Yes, it has a lot to do with the musical talent and the commercials, of course, but if that were the case I would not be actually watching the actual game. I don't really totally understand, but I do want the Giants to win. I am not sure where I brew my hometown spirit, but when it comes down to it, I love to rally behind "our team". I enjoy school games, I feel that missing the Superbowl is indecent, and when it comes to the Olympics, my country definitely needs me to tune in. I have to cry over all the back stories and marvel at everything these athletes have overcome to make it to this ultimate challenge. I don't understand much of the sporting events and rules and what not, but I do appreciate the work and effort that goes into each attempt, each game, each event. What does this mean? I like to win, and I like to support others so they can win, and I believe in all that is good in our country.  Apple Pie, football, all that jazz. It's sentimental (with an emphasis on the 'mental' in my case) and sappy, but add a parade and I've got tears welling in my eyes (as long as I don't have to march in it). I am not sure why I buy into the rah-rah hooplah, but it's part of who I am. So I dutifully sit glued to my television tonight to celebrate all that is good in our country with some hot wings and apple pie. Go big blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment