Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I love my teenager

Today is April 13. My baby celebrates her 15th birthday today. I love where we are in our lives, and I have felt this way about us every day of her life. Every day I think 'this is the best! She is the best! It can't get any better than this', and then I wake up and feel the same way the next day. Every age has been good so far, with all the challenges and joys that make life interesting. I feel such pride that I could burst every time I look at her. It probably should bother me that I have a 15-year-old high school freshman in my life and that I am pushing 40, but it doesn't. It just feels right and good.

Unfortunately, Abby is learning that as you get older, birthdays don't always mean big parties and lots of presents to unwrap. Her gift this year is a trip to Disney with me (and the entire Hunterdon Central Regional High School Marching Red Devil Band...), a brand new red rolling suitcase to travel with (which I handed to her Monday so she could begin packing) and a trip to Kohl'sthis afternoon to get a few pairs of shorts for said trip. We will go to dinner at the Hometown Buffet with Nanny and Pop-Pop (Abby's restaurant-of-choice - best chicken soup ever in her book) and sing happy birthday and have cake. I'm sure Joe will have something special for his princess tonight. He feels guilty not having gifts for her, but he also doesn't (want to) know how much the trip cost, but he knows that a trip to Disney is an AWESOME birthday present.... and understands that our baby girl is 'all growed up' and mature and responsible enough to not have to open presents.....

Which is why we'll both probably be at the store later today.... ah, guilt. I still must learn to vanquish you....

No comments:

Post a Comment