Thursday, April 28, 2011

How my son thinks...

Sam: "I took a shower"
Me: "Where is your shirt"
Sam: "I left it outside before I came in for my shower"
Me: "Well go back outside and get it"
Sam: "Why, it's not going to rain?"


After getting all the dishes into the dishwasher and all the pots and pans washed and put away, I cleaned out my sink and put a sign over the faucet that read, "Put your dishes in the dishwasher"
Sam saw the sign and said, "Why, is the sink broken?"

Some other famous 'Sam-isms':
- Why doesn't our skin blow off when we stick our head out of the car window?
- Why is the inside of my mouth wet?

There are more. There are always more because this beautiful boy has a questioning mind. Tomorrow morning I will sit in a room with 'the team' and discuss how we can make this square peg fit into the round hole. The debate in my head rages between letting the creative child learn and explore in his own way, as a free spirit outside of a traditional classroom OR taking the steps needed so that he can perform at a 'normal' level in a 'normal' classroom. Is normal what he needs? If he misses out on normal, will he turn into a recluse or a unibomber? And how would I pay for non-traditional anyway - all my money going to taxes already make it really impossible for my child to be educated in any other type of school. But having him continue in school, trying to have 'normal' is frustrating for all of us, I think. The funny thing is that the main thing keeping me from pulling him is not the education or the 'normal', it's that I just don't want him to miss out on friends and dances and class trips. Eventually, I know that he will have to do 'normal' because most jobs require that you show up to work and function and do your job. But the decision isn't mine to make at this point - it's his. He is old enough, and surprisingly enough, he likes school. He doesn't really like doing the work, or being told what to do, but he likes being in the middle school and having a locker and riding home on the bus with his friends. I just have to learn to deal with the teachers who need to figure out how to reach my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment