Wednesday, April 27, 2011

mystery shopping

Yesterday I learned about ShadowShopper.com. Had I not been given information about it by one of my closest friends, I would have disregarded it as a scam, but because I trust this woman inherently, I checked it out. I just want to say how fun it has been learning about mystery shopping. I have been entertained by this for most of the day. I passed five 'tests' so far that 'certify' me to do demonstrations, mystery shopping, merchandising, and more. It isn't the most challenging work, but I know that if I provide honest feedback the businesses I visit can see where they need to improve.

I have been "shopped" myself. In my last job, it was typical to get a phone call from someone looking for child care or for someone to 'drop in' for a tour, and then we learn that was a mystery shopper. My first expeience was horrid, but it was my first week of work, and I really hadn't been properly trained. Later, I scored perfectly and was always pleased at my results.  It became easier as I began to know when the caller was really a 'shopper' - there is an obvious difference in questions between a mystery shopper and an obsessed new mom.

Others have told me that they can easily spot mystery shoppers. Experienced restaurant staff can tell because of the items and quantity of items ordered, as well as by the number of questions and types of questions they get. So as I reviewed the many opportunities there are for secret shoppers, I tried to think of how I could do these jobs with stealth. There has to be a way to act natural but get photos and needed answers.

I learned that the bathroom in the CITGO on Rt 22 in Whitehouse is gross. Ewwww. Do not go in there, and if you do, have someone on the outside ready to help you get the door open when you are done, because it sticks! While the attendants did not have uniforms or nametags, they were not unpleasant in dress or manner. The difficulty is trying to be sure that an actual employee is pumping your gas, not just a guy off the streets. As I think about this more, it worries me that I gave him my credit card. But then I remember it's pretty much used up, so he wouldn't be able to charge anything anyway! Seriously, though, it could have been risky just handing over my card to this 20-something in a black t-shirt and jeans. I won't be doing that again.

Learning to be a secret shopper will actually be helpful for my training career. When I provide trainings in customer service and quality management I can share the experiences I have as a mystery shopper with the group. I might even have them role play that they are a secret shopper and make it a sort of scavenger hunt where they need to bring back photographs or examples of items on the list. It will provide a tangible aspect to the learning that will make more of an impact.

One thing more to think about tonight: all the marketing secrets and branding and even subliminal messaging out there - am I personally more aware of it because of my experience in public relations and marketing, or is it really that blatant? I know we are taught in school about persuasive writing and about advertising and sociology, but I realize that I watch commercials not only as a consumer, but as a marketer, a teacher, and even a cynic, perhaps. I realize the objective for each camera angle, every lighting cue and close-up. I enjoy watching commercials, probably more than many people do, and have always found an appreciation for both print and video or radio media promotions. If I can visit some of my favorite stores and 'shop' and help them to improve, I think I can be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment