Monday, April 25, 2011

What we can learn from vacation

I've been M.I.A. for over a week because I was a chaperone for our HS marching band as we traveled to Disney World. The kids marched in a parade mid-week, and that was surrounded by nonstop activity for everyone visiting every park and then taking the final day to head to Universal Islands of Adventure to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Overall, it was an extremely wonderful experience. While it wasn't what I would call a vacation, it was certainly a step outside the norm, away from my family. I met many, many wonderful people, and got to know others better. We have some honestly terrific families associated with the MRD and I am proud to be a part of the organization. The planning and coordination that goes into a trip like this is exponentially complicated, and managing 208 students plus chaperones and parents requires six busses and two planes and almost a year of planning. Overall, this trip was a success.

The top ten realizations this week include:
- I have digested the information taught to me by the Red Cross and American Heart Association, and when faced with an emergency, I know what t do. These organizations know what they are doing and EVERYONE should be trained in first aid and CPR. EVERYONE!
- It doesn't matter how old you are. It is still really cool to meet Mickey Mouse and every other character in the parks.
- "Stitch's great escape" ride is NOT scary.
- The safari ride is worth the wait in Animal Kingdom; the animals roam free, but there are chains running across the ground and that discourages them from coming near the road because they don't like walking on the chains.
- As poorly run as things are in Universal Studios, I am glad that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was there because it was more authentic (not touched by Disney Magic) - even though we had to wait in the sun for almost an hour to get back into that section of the park....
- The misters in each of the park are refreshing, but are bad because they wash off your sunscreen (says the girl with very red shoulders)
- Every student needs to bone up on their map skills. MANY had difficulty reading the park maps.
- Even after a long and tiring week, most of the students were positive and cooperative. I will always smile when I think back on my view from the back of the plane, as the students all put their hands up as though on a roller coaster ride during take off, cheering for the pilot as we successfully ascended and then again upon landing. It was fun and touching.
- I still do not like Escargot. YUCK!
- I can honestly understand why people return year after year to visit Disney.We went in 2001 for three days and it wasn't even close to enough time. We spent five days this time and I still have many attractions we didn't have time to do. There will always be more to do and see, and things you want to do again and again. It is truly the most magical place on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment